Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Spelunking




These pictures are from a cave in southern Indiana (Marengo Cave). I've always enjoyed going in caves. When I was a kid in TN there were a lot of caves around in the area where we lived. We would get out some Sundays and go into a cave and never mark anything (dumb kids :) ). We would go places where you had to crawl to get through an opening and never think that we could get lost. There's no danger of me doing that now......I don't have the energy to crawl like we did then and even if I did have the energy I'd be too big to fit through the holes like I used to. I think the holes got smaller just like my pants keep getting smaller just by hanging in the closet. :) Secretly, I think my wife modifies them to make them smaller because I know it couldn't be all those Big Macs that I eat. :)

7 comments:

Tom said...

Derbyshire is known for it's limestone caves and what they call potholes.. I've ventured into one or two.. maybe like you when younger I wouldnot have had the slightest fear of what could go wrong.. ha!..
I get my pants from the same shop as you.. it where I got the wrinkly mirror from also.

Carletta said...

It's been a long time since I visited any caverns. The wonder that lies beneath though is awesome.

Glad you visited me today.

mercè said...

That is a lot of beautiful caverns pictures!
I love the reflection in the water, in the last photo. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I would like to have some of these stalactites and stalagmites as the start of a good rock collection.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

stalactites and stalgamites - never could remember which was which until someone taught me "mites grow up but tights come down" - ah yes got it now.

Lilli & Nevada said...

These are fabulous photo shots.

Carletta said...

Hi Neal,
Glad you stopped by today - I've been by a couple of times and you hadn't posted.
I'm leaving a note today - to say hi and hope you're having a wonderful day.