Friday, January 20, 2012

Old home

 The house at the old home place that I mentioned in the previous posts was very small.  If I recall correctly I believe may parents told me that it was 28 feet long by 24 feet wide.  It had 4 rooms, a living room, a kitchen, and two bedrooms.  It also had a front porch and a back porch.  It had a tin roof and no insulation in the attic so it was very noisy when it rained but I loved it and still love rain on a tin roof even today. Figuring from our ages I have come to the conclusion that at one time there were seven of us kids and mom and dad living in that house. We never got electricity until around 1953-1954 time frame so that means that I lived several years in that house when we didn't have any electricity. When we finally did get electricity we got a refrigerator. The kitchen was so small that we cut a hole the size of the refrigerator in one of the kitchen walls and shoved the refrigerator into that hole so just the face of it was showing in the kitchen.  Therefore, the bulk of the refrigerator stuck back into one of the bedrooms.  My mom cooked everything on an old fashion wood burning cook stove. We had a Warm Morning coal burning stove in the living room to keep it warm in the winter.  In the summer we would take it down and move it to the porch so we had more room in the living room.  However, that stove would not keep the house warm all night so it got really cold in the bedrooms at night. I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you too much.:)  As a side note: I have never been able to find a picture of the old house....:(.


Below are some OLD pictures but they are not very good.


 This looks like it was taken down the hill from our front porch.  The National Park Services owns those woods.
 This is a picture of my dad holding Rose. The part of the building that you see is the front porch of our house.


 I believe (not 100% sure) that this is Rose.


 This was taken from our front yard looking down the holler.  You can see the road that leads out of the holler.  You can also see the top of a building in the distance.  That is our neighbor's barn and the one Rose is showing as a header on her Time Stands Still blog and just recently used the entire picture in a blog on that site.  If you look at her blog on the barn when you look at the barn you would be looking up the holler towards where we lived. As you can see we had electricity when this picture was taken.


This is my dad standing in the front yard (1954). If you look real closely you can see someone standing on the porch.  I am sure it was one of us kids but I have no idea which one. The very last tree on the left in the picture is a walnut tree.  It is still standing today and is still about the same size.

5 comments:

George said...

Thanks for sharing these beautiful memories with us. The older pictures may not be s good as the pictures you take now, but they are still precious. I like the way photos can take us back in time.

Rose said...

These sure bring back memories...

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is good to look back at the way things were. No electricity and we call them the good old days.Hmmm? Makes me wonder.

Carletta said...

I like looking back with you.
I think you get your smile from your Dad. :)
Your story isn't boring - I could keep listening.
I'm sorry you don't have a picture. I know what that feels like. My Dad grew up on a farm in a hollar and I remember going up many times to see family and in my mind I think I can imagine the house but I can't completely see it. I've always wished there was a picture.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh I love reading your story, Neil... I wish you had a picture of the old house... Love seeing the photos of Rose and your Dad.

Do you have pictures of you as a little boy??? I'd love to see them.

Thanks so much for sharing your memories... I still want to go there sometime.
Betsy