Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Computer Tip

Have you ever registered at a place that wants your email address but you didn't feel comfortable giving it to them? Some places require an email to finish the registration process. One way to get around this problem is to have a junk email address that's used only for that purpose. Another way is to just make up an address at mailinator.com. For example, you could decide to use abcd@mailinator.com (just make up your own sequence but remember it) and then when you go to www.mailinator.com you would type abcd in the Check your Inbox box. If you are concerned about other people checking it and deleting the message (because other people could decide to use abcd) then make up your own unique sequence, go to mailinator.com and type that sequence in and look to see what the alternate address is and use that. Since people won't know what sequence that translates into it should be pretty safe. To see what I mean go to www.mailinator.com and type in abcd in the Inbox. You will see that the alternate address is M8R-867lr3@mailinator.com so if you were to use the alternate address people would have no idea that your actual email address was abcd@mailinator.com. Messages do NOT stay there very long so you don't want to use this approach for stuff that you want to keep. However, if you're concerned about getting emails from a place and just need a temporary email address to meet a need this is a good approach.

4 comments:

Tina said...

I just use another e-mail address of which I rarely check...thanks for sharing all these goodies tho..

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Good idea, Neal... Both George and I DO get a bunch of junk from companies trying to sell us stuff.. Everything that is not listed in my address book goes automatically to my junk mailbox. I check it occasionally to make sure that I don't want any of it--and then just delete what's in there. That works for me. BUT--I do have to check it because if a new blogger writes me, then it goes into 'junk' the first time until I add that person to my address book... But--that way it is simple.

Thanks!!!
Betsy

George said...

Thanks for the tip. As Betsy mentions above, we have pretty good junk filters, but I like your suggestion. I hope you have a great 2010!

diane b said...

Good idea. I have two addresses one for personal friends and one for the est of the world.I like your flowers and your blog. I came over from Betsy.