Thursday, November 19, 2009


This is not a very good picture but it is a picture of me(middle) and my brothers.  It was taken in the 1950s and you can tell by looking at the picture that we were very, very poor.   You can't see our feet but I'd be willing to bet that none of us have shoes on.  We went barefooted most of the summer and you can tell it was warm by the clothes we're wearing.  If you look at my brother on the my left you can see that two of his fingers have been cut off a little.  That was done when we grabbed at an old reel push mower when my other other brother was pulling it.

3 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a neat picture Neal... You are the 'cutest' one!!!!!! I know that you cherish your family and your childhood. I always wished that I had have had more brothers and sisters. I had 2 brothers--but they were both so much older that I felt like an only child.

Betsy

Tom said...

Excellent Neal...
You all look like peas from the same pod for sure....
I was looking at some old pictures myself this week.... and laughing to myself at how we dressed back then... I recall going to school in my brothers old cloths that were still way to big for me... I remember my school pants fell down once and all the class set off laughing. :O)
I recalled going through some old school pictures with my mum around 20 years ago... it was just before the old dear died. In one of the pictures I was wearing a 'Boy Scouts' jumper... complete with an array of badges. I asked mum about this and said that I, nor any of my brothers had been a boy scout... mum laughed and said she knew that... but young Eddie Piper down the road from us had been... and his mother always passed his old cloths on to us. ha! She thought I would look 'Posh' in that jumper.
All the best
Tom

Tina said...

It's so interesting to see your 1950ish photo of you and your brothers..so you are the cutie one in the middle..and I bet you were in the middle a lot when it came to teasing and being a brother!! Neat memories of your past..sorry to hear about your brother's fingers, tho.
Do hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family and friends!!