Friday, March 13, 2009

Making brooms

Does anyone remember when your parents made their own brooms? My parents would grow the broom corn and make their own brooms rather than buying them. I can't remember the details of how they made them but I can remember them being made.

On another note I was reading a book the other day and the lady in the book talked about taking a straw out of a broom to check to see if a cake was done (instead of using a toothpick). When I read that it brought back memories of my mom doing the same thing. I got to thinking that a broom was not exactly a clean place to get something to test to see if a cake was done. :)

4 comments:

Rose said...

I was talking to Roger about this just after we talked and he said that Grammy used to do the same thing.

Tina said...

Neal,
OMGosh..I remember my grandmother taking that straw from a broom and testing her baked items!! At the time I didn't think anything of it..but now..you are right..not exactly a sanitary thing! lol!!

but then again..I always thought Mother's 'spit' (or should I say saliva to make it sound nicer) was the Oxy-clean of the 50s! A little dab off her tougue onto her hanky and that grease spot came right off my cheek!!

dot said...

I've heard of people using the straw. Funny! Hopefully they used the cleaner end.
I don't remember anyone making brooms like that but I do remember them tying a certain kind of bush together to make a broom to sweep the yard.

George said...

Both of my grandmothers used broom straws to test their cakes. Thanks for the memories.