Thursday, February 5, 2009

Independence Mine




I've always loved to visit old mines so when I saw this mine (Independence Mine in Alaska) mentioned in a book I knew that I just had to visit. This was the 3rd or 4th time that I've been there so I have lots of pictures of the area. It was very interesting to read about the place.....how they lived, how the extracted the ore, what they ate and how much it cost, etc. When I go to a place like this I always gaze and try to imagine what it was like when the miners were actually there. It was a long way from anything (like most things in AK) so they definitely had to entertain themselves (assuming they had the time).

6 comments:

George said...

That mine looks like an interesting place to visit. I'm glad you got to see it.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Nice post, Neal.. I grew up all around LOTS and LOTS of coal mines.. My Dad worked for the railroad--but had an inside job and didn't have to ever go into the mines. BUT--many people in the towns around Big Stone Gap worked IN the mines.

After I got my driver's license, I enjoyed driving up in the mountains around all of the old coal camps (tiny towns in the mountains)... Interesting!
Betsy

EG CameraGirl said...

I agree that old mines are fascinating. I've never been to Alaska, but I have visited mines in Arizona and Northern Ontario. I especially like it when there are guides to help explain what all the equipment is and how it was used.

Anonymous said...

The images are gorgeous, as most Alaskan shots are, but why is the trash there in the last shot?

Neal said...

Tricia, that's not trash. That's an old mining building that is falling down.

Rose said...

Neal, do some of these for the the black and white blog...I LOVE that third photo!