Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Good Old Days





Since my daughter is doing an internship (she's a wildlife management and zoology major) at Spring Mill State Park I thought I post a few pictures from the pioneer village down there. We took her down on this past Wednesday to get acquainted with the people she'll be working for and to see what's expected of her. While we were there we had to look around. :) We went to the old grist mill and watched them grind some corn. That really brought back memories for me because when I was a kid we would load up our corn and take it to the mill to have it ground. The miller (my sister-in-law's dad) would take a portion of the corn in payment for grinding it. I just loved to go there and watch and loved the smell in the mill. Since we had cornbread every day we used a lot of meal. I still love cornbread today even though I ate a lot as a kid. Ahhhh..... the good old days when times were simple and people cared for their neighbors.

9 comments:

Rose said...

I really like these in B & W! And if I knew that our sister-in-law's dad was the one that ground our meal, I had totally forgot it!

Tanya Breese said...

I love these pictures! I think those were the "good old days" too. I feel like I was born in the wrong era!

mercè said...

Very, very nice serie in B/W
Peaceful... solitude !!

mercè said...

Very, very nice serie in B/W
Peaceful... solitude !!

dot said...

Love your B&Ws! I never did care for cornbread until I was grown. But oh how I loved those biscuits! Have to leave both of them alone now.

dot said...

You were a naughty little boy! I guess most little boys were.

Carletta said...

Beautiful images - I love the first one - reminds me of how much it used to snow when I was young.
The mill reminds me a lot of the mill the Smokey's we always visit when we go there. I want to say at Cade's Cove but that doesn't seem right.
Enjoyed my visit.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Really great collection of classic b&W images and such a well written post. My island is still quite neighbourly, a real step back in time.

Tom said...

I wish you daughter all the best for this new venture Neal.. it looks a fantastic place to be apart of. Now then 'Corn Bread' you really must send me the recipe as I have heard just so much about it of late...